Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Family first: triathlon second

My coach and I have a mantra: family first: triathlon second.  We are all recreational triathletes; not professional and we have to remind ourselves of that from time to time when we are in training.  Like last night.  

Around mid-day the hubs called me informing me he felt a kidney stone on the move (he's had tons and we know the drill).  At the time I asked, "do you need me to come home now?"  "No." "Okay, I am still planning to go do my swim workout tonight then."

Hours later, approaching my exit for the aquatic center, I called to check in.   The situation escalated.  He told me to swim, but there was no way.  I could not focus knowing how he sounded.  I neded to be there, if only to just be there.  So no swim workout.  I live to swim another day, but I deposited a lot of $$ into the triathlon marriage bank.  

Family first.  Triathlon second.  Period.

(Btw...stone passed, he's fine and I will make up the swim today)


2 comments: